Student Government Association
The Student Government Association (SGA) is the voice of our students and plays a key role in the operation of the center. We encourage all of our students to join the SGA.
The SGA Council is composed of Executive Board officers, Vocational Representatives, and Area Student Leaders. The Executive Board members are the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Community Coordinator. Vocational Representatives are student leaders representing each career training program on center. The Area Student Leaders are mentors, recreational aides, residential advisors, safety marshals, and student tour guides.
In their weekly meetings, SGA representatives make recommendations to the Center Director about rules affecting students including enforcement of rules. The Center Director also consults with the SGA before introducing new rules for students.
SGA members also have the responsibility to:
- Be a positive role model to the other students.
- Assist in the decision-making process with the Center Director and Senior Management Team relating to policies affecting student life on and off campus.
- Develop leadership skills.
- Practice self-government and have input on center policies.
- Learn and practice positive leadership and socialization skills.
- Assist with tours on center.
- Work with all departments through the SGA Committees.
- Host activities for the student body.
- Work closely with the Business-Community Liaison to bridge the gap between the Job Corps program and the community.
After 30 days of enrollment at our center, you may apply for the Leadership Training Class. After you complete three weeks of leadership training, you can apply for SGA membership.
The game of chess develops strategy, anticipation, and awareness skills that can help players in situations far away from the chess board, but the reason we like to play it is simply because it is fun. The Chess Club gives students a chance to play friendly games of chess against their peers in a low-stress environment. All levels are welcome.
Creative Writing Club
The Creative Writing Club is open to all students interested in writing poetry, short stories, novels, plays, song lyrics, graphic novels, and any other literary genre. The goal of the club is to provide a positive and supportive environment for aspiring student writers to grow. The club will also show students how to harness their innate creativity effectively with a variety of contests, workshops, and exercises. Finally, the club is just a great place to connect with students who share your passion to create.